Friday 15 June 2012

Bois de Vincennes vs Bois de Boulogne


Last weekend was dedicated to cycling: 50K on Saturday and 45K on Sunday. This was the occasion to test 2 of the riding spots of Paris.

On Saturday, I cycled on the track at the heart of the Bois de Vincennes, located in the extreme east of Paris. It’s a sort of 3.2K long triangle with 3 segments of circa 1K each. The place is really nice and is surrounded by trees. The track is quite wide so it does not feel too crowded. There is one hill that stretches over 1K but nothing too furious although it starts hurting the legs after a few laps. The only negative point for me was that there were quite a lot of twigs on the floor. I can imagine that there must be a lot of leaves in automn and it must be quite slippery when it rains. I also read that it is very dark in automn and winter so you can't really ride there during these months.


On Sunday I went to the opposite side of Paris in the west and cycled on the track surrounding the Hippodrome of Longchamp. It’s a 3.6K long lap composed of 2 main axes: one that is a progressive hill and one that is a flat line. Overall, it feels much faster than Vincennes. Apparently, it is where “celebrities” such as Nicolas Sarkozy or Michel Drucker, a famous French TV presenter, go cycling at the weekend...well, I was disappointed because I did not recognise anybody.

These 2 places are nothing like Richmond Park in London but I'm glad I have discovered them because I was missing the weekend rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment